Tuesday, May 08, 2012

What My Houses Have Taught Me

I have lived in a few places over the last 30 years and each location has taught me at least one thing I need to be on the look out when searching for my next house. 

In college, I learned I never want to live in an apartment again.  I also learned that renting isn't that great either because I like to change things around (such as floor plans) now and then.

With my first house, I learned never to buy at the bottom of a hill with out proper drainage and that the washer and dryer need to be in the house - not in the garage.  I also learned what termites damage looks like (little varmints).

First time In Houston, I learned to pay attention to the locks on the doors.  If you can easily lock yourself outside, you will and that you need to have a method to get back in that does not include a lock smith.  Big kitchen sinks are a must also.

Our Alaska house taught me LOTS.  Number one - make sure the kitchen exhaust fan is more powerful than the smoke alarm.  Not that I burned MANY meals but apparently there was enough smoke from a hot oven I needed to keep a towel handy to fan the alarm occasionally.  It also taught me to think twice before buying a house that requires you to carry groceries up a long flight of stairs to the kitchen. Bread isn't a problem...it's the 20lbs of potatoes.  Consider the seasons and where you want your back deck to be in the summer.  Finally, a white glass stove top is the easiest thing ever to keep clean and a drain in the garage is nice in a snowy climate.

Back in Houston, I learned that a black, shiny stove top is the hardest thing to keep clean.  Fry 1 piece of sausage and you have to get the Windex out and scrub down the entire surface like a window until it shines.   I also learned that you can teach baby ducks it is alright to stand on my feet and give duck kisses when they feel they aren't getting the proper allotment of hamburger bun. 

Our new home has already taught me I don't ever again want black floors.  Regardless of how many times I sweep, I put the broom away, turn around and it needs sweeping again. I've also learned I have become accustomed to big items...but that's a whole other posting...

BTW - guess where the washer and dryer will are....In the garage.

No comments: