Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Must Get Bird Feeder

Our house has no yard, only a couple of small patches of dirt big enough to hold some bamboo stalks.  However, I believe we have enough vegetation in the neighborhood I can still have a bird feeder.  I have spent the last 10 minutes watching 2 Noisy Miner birds use our pool as a bird bath.  One of them is a pretty good diver.  Once the bath was finished, the electric wires were perfect for scrubbing their faces dry - just like a dog rubbing its face on the carpet. 

We also have some Rainbow Lorikeets that spend a lot of time two houses down.  These are the birds I really want to feed.  They have beautiful coloring when they open their wings and fly around.  I just wish they would sit on a branch and open their wings with the proper lighting so I can get a good picture.  So far, they are not cooperating. 

Both species can be noisy.  I can hear them in the afternoons over the AC, the TV and anything else in the house. 

The downside, both species like nectar, fruit, etc.  I can easily set some items like that out and attract all sorts of bugs. Unfortunately, we really don't have anything to attach a bird feeder to.  This will take some creativity. Must be time for a trip to the hardware store to see what my options are and what other creative people have come up with.  

No comments: