Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Driving Practice Today

I achieved a new milestone towards learning to drive in Brisbane - I drove by myself today.  I know - that sounds like small item but for me it is pretty big.  I think the most intimidating thing with the whole move is this driving on the other side of the rood...and yes...I am taking baby steps. 

I have a pretty set course around the neighborhood that I generally don't stray from.  There are plenty of traffic circles, 2 stop lights, lots of narrow streets, bicyclists and pedestrians.  Plenty to watch for. 

Today, there was a new obstacle.  The city has closed one of my turn around points and I had to go OUTSIDE of my "course" on new streets.  Luckily I had the GPS AND I got turned around and back on "course" before I hit any major divided, multi-lane roads.

I dread that first time I have to drive across the city.  It sounds like company in October though so I now have a deadline.

No comments: