Sunday, April 28, 2013

Wonder what this is?

As mentioned before, I have a project going to convert old recipes into digital format. Today I ran across a challenge.

It was a yellow scrap of paper, in my handwriting listing ingredients written in 3 sections with lines drawn between the sections. 

Sum total of instructions were:  
Section 1 - boil

Section 2 - add

Section 3 - cook 20 minutes. 

After all - it was a small piece of paper.

The main ingredient was raspberries so I narrowed it down to our time in Alaska (where we harvested gallons of berries).  Since the obvious thought pattern with fruit AND a recipe in our household is pie, cobbler or jelly/jam, I knew this list of ingredients would not have made a good, typical dessert. The milk threw me off...

I must have done it though as I don't take pen to paper unless absolutely necessary because it takes effort  (where ripping out a page in a magazine - not so much effort). Besides my penmanship is horrible as evidenced by the 5 tsp or tbsp (? it's one of them) of baking bowder.

After staring at the third section of ingredients, I finally decided it looked like a dumpling recipe et voila!  We occasionally made raspberry dumplings for dessert.  If I remember correctly, it was pretty tasty.  After all I kept the recipe!

Now, if only I had taken time to write a few more instructions. 

No comments: