Sunday, April 07, 2013

One of those days...

Well...maybe it actually started off last Friday.

Our primary cooking utensil is the grill. On a good night, I don't get a single pot or pan dirty in the kitchen as everything hits the grate. 

Friday was just such and occasion.

Beef Fillets (Australian for filet), corn on the cob, jalapenos with cream cheese, asparagus.  A perfect dinner.

And then we ran out of gas and don't own a second bottle.

Luckily, we eat rare steaks.  There was enough heat in the grill that everything was cooked and still no heat generated in the kitchen.  :)

Of course when we tried to get the bottle filled Saturday, the business was closed and we aren't sure of another place to go for propane.  Plus Monday, I take the car in for service and won't be able to fill it until Tuesday at the earliest.

Descend into crisis mode.  What will we eat for the next 3 days???  

Time to smoke some meat! 

Naturally, we didn't decide to smoke anything until Saturday morning and everything was still in the freezer. But that gave us an excuse to eat out Saturday night.

Sunday Robert tossed on a brisket, ribs, chicken and shrimp.  (Come on - you can't fire up a smoker and only do one meal's worth!)  Cooked up a pot of black beans and whipped up some Cole slaw and since we had LOTS, we invited great friends over to share with us.  A fantastic Sunday evening.

But back to today...

As mentioned before, I had to take the car in for annual service.  Keep in mind, I hadn't had any coffee when I left.

Drove to the dealer.

Left the car.

Walked home - a beautiful, 65 degree morning with scattered clouds. Lots of people bundled up.  I'm in shorts and a polo.

And then, while waiting for my take away long black to enjoy back at the house, I realized my house key was safely on the kitchen counter.

Normally this isn't a problem but I had no garage door opener either - it's in the car.

As you can tell, I did get back into the house and it wasn't too much trouble, but now I'm just going to go read my book and make no more decisions other than what's for lunch.

Wait - that decision is already made - BBQ!!!  :)

No comments: