Sunday, August 12, 2012

Cooking in Grams

At one point in my life, I could not cook without an exact recipe.  I have since graduated (or maybe became lazy?) and now no meal is ever duplicated.  I rarely measure and it is never exact anymore. Of course, I did bring my personal cookbook of favorites with me and I have full intention of someday putting them all online so I don't need to carry a cookbook - but that is another day. 

Being from the US, all of my recipes are in cups and ounces.   

In Australia, everything is sold in grams and liters and the the new local recipes I want to try use the metric system.

This really didn't  hit home until the other day when I was trying to make buttermilk biscuits for the first time - ever.  All of the chefs I watch generally say that when baking you do need to measure exactly or things won't come out right.

My recipe called for 1/4 cup butter.  My stick of butter was 100 grams.  Luckily there's an app for butter conversion.  Voila - I needed 56.7 grams of butter. It looks like my future holds more conversions - especially since I haven't purchased a metric scale yet. 

I still swagged the 56.7 grams and according to Robert, the biscuits turned out and I should make them again.  :)

No comments: