Friday, April 27, 2012

Something to think about...

When living in Houston during 2004-2006, we were very lucky to find both a yard service and a cleaning service that were absolutely top notch and took very good care of us.  Of course when we moved back to Houston, we called the same companies.  Luckily, they were still in business and once again agreed to help us out.

I talked to the lawn service owner the other day and she voluntarily assured me they were going to watch the house and make sure there were no problems and thanked us profusely for our business.  She even told me she would take pictures if I wanted them to letting us know the yard was still in good shape. What great people.

Yesterday, I saw our house helper for the last time (well - until we move back).  We have become friends over the years and I have heard about her kids growing up, how she met her husband, what her life was like before coming to America, we celebrated when she became a citizen, etc. She always took care of Squirt and cried with me when we lost him. Before I left to run errands, she was in tears and thanked me for everything. I will miss our chats and our friendship.

What has stuck with me though is a comment she made about always treating her as a an equal.  How else would I treat her?  It bothers me to know there are still people in this country that don't treat others as equals.  That's very sad and shows how far we still have to go.

I am very thankful for the people that have worked in and around our homes over the last 15 years and will miss interacting with our current friends regularly. They have giving us time back in our lives which  has allowed us to do other things when not at the office.

PS - To the internet service person I yelled at this morning - I apologize for yelling at you. Please don't think it was because I was not treating you as an equal.  I have no problem yelling at anyone.



No comments: