Tuesday, April 03, 2012

AH...Shopping

I am testing the "no international transaction fee" credit card VERY thoroughly this week.  Food, mass transit cards, oh yes...appliances.

We had to purchase a fridge, washer, dryer, freezer and of course a wine cooler for the new town home.  (Yes - the wine cooler was required.)  It all went well as far as I know but hands down the toughest decision was the washer/dryer.  They sell them by kilogram capacity. 

The manager was exceptionally nice and spent well over an hour with me helping me spend Robert's money.  But I was stumped on the kg decision.  The appliances appear SO small here.  Always before, I would open the lid and look in and say - yep, it looks big enough.  Here, I had to know how many wet kilos did my king size bedding take up.  (The answer is apparently 8 but I went 8.5 just to be sure.)  And, me being the "black and white - no shades of gray - if you have 8 on this side you have to have 8 on that side" person that I am, have a devil of a time understanding that a dryer only needs to be 6 kg when the washer needs to be 8.5.  (Something to do with wet/dry.)  Still not entirely sure, I went with the 8kg dryer.  It was pretty funny. . . at one point the manager asked me how many pounds we purchased in the states.  I said we don't - we just do big. 

The dryer has a condenser.  That means it recovers the water and I can use it for watering my plants which we won't have because we won't have a yard.  Luckily, we should be able to connect it to the sink and have it drain automatically.

Space is at a premium and these are stacked units.  SO that means I will need a step stool every time I do the laundry.  (Must go update the inventory.)

Time to go walk around the mall and see if there is anything else I need to use that card on...  :)

1 comment:

MJB said...

Dear Miss Moose Droppings: I have the answer to you puppy deliema, no astroturf will be needed. I have a line on a 20 yo well trained, and somewhat well mannered parrot. Because I will soon be oweing you a housewarming gift, I will negotiate with the woman who owns this bird, purchase it from her at any cost, set with it throughout it quarentine and deliver it to your doorstep.
Your loving Brother-In-Law
MJB
PS: In addition, the dryer you purchased will be more than adequate to handle the drying of this bird, should you ever try and drown it--and guilt sets in half way thru the drowning process and it needs to be dried. Because I care so much for you and Robert I have researched the heat setting and drying time for parrots--it is 1 hour on high heat.
PSS: The bird bit him again this morning--Your Sister