Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Aaaahhh - Spiders

As you are probably aware, Australia has some rather poisonous critters here.  I haven't done all of the necessary research to be able to recognize the venomous spiders and deadly snakes - that will come while sitting in the park after we move. 

Regardless, I saw some REALLY BIG spiders yesterday.  The golden orb spider can have a leg span of over 7 inches and a body almost 2 inches long.  They have gold bands on their legs. http://www.learningspark.com.au/shop/nt/gospider/index.html

Then there's the Huntsman...they like living in flat spaces such as under your sun visor in the car.  That will be tons of fun the first time I flip the visor down while driving on the left side of the road in Brisbane traffic and a (REALLY BIG) spider falls in my lap.  I believe we only saw dead Huntsman spiders yesterday - inside the houses.  http://www.mdavid.com.au/spiders/huntsmanspiders.shtml

The capper though was the GIANT spider on the deck of one of the Queenslander houses that had a huge web with a dead mouse in it.  I wasn't thinking or I would have taken a picture of it.  Luckily it was outside of the house and the agent assured us the house would be cleaned once a lease was signed. 

Btw - most of these homes don't have screens on the windows and many don't have air conditioning where you must open the windows to get a breeze. 

1 comment:

RKM said...

So maybe my excitement about coming to visit is waning a bit... I hate spiders! :-)