Monday, September 17, 2007

Termination Dust

As the fireweed finishes blooming, swans along with geese stop by Potter's Marsh while migrating south, and the moose gather in the valley for moose events (see yesterday's post), the last, sure sign of impending winter is termination dust. When snow appears on the highest peaks around the Anchorage bowl, people know summer is coming to an end.

While today's generation appear to associate the term with getting snow skis ready to go, historically, the first snow was a sign to seasonal workers their jobs would be terminating soon. Hence the name termination dust.

We got quite a bit of "dust" over the weekend. It is rapidly marching down the mountains. This morning when I checked the temperature, it was 33 degrees. Since it is clear outside and no warm front passed through today, I brought six of our ten hanging baskets of flowers in. The four I didn't get to this evening will just have to buck up and survive until Robert gets home. I'll give them an extra drink of water. Sadly, the plants in the pots we had setting on the porch are in the same boat.

Other happenings...

We took the ATV out Saturday to Bird Creek Trail south of town and had a blast on the trails. We only missed one turn on the way home but saw some beautiful country while retracing our steps. It seems so very easy to get back to where you started from but I was VERY happy to have the GPS with us. I have no doubt we could have gotten back without the GPS...I was just worried we would run out of gas and have to push the ATV. That might have soured me on the whole ATV thing. However, all was well and we are going back out this weekend north of town. Once we get it cleaned up, I will take some pictures in the daylight and post.

Last week, we had another 4+ magnitude earthquake at 3:46pm. Once again, I missed it. I must just concentrate too hard at work. :)

No comments: