Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Almost Back Country

Saturday, we packed up the ATV and met up with friends north of town to check out some trails on King's River. There were 5 of us on 3 ATVs of which one of us was a teenager ready to go to the end of the earth or trail - whichever came first. We had a blast.

Our friends had been out to this set of trails a couple of times and already knew where to take us. The first area we went to ended up on a bluff overlooking a valley. We could hear the creek/river running. It was so quiet and amazing. (Look for that picture in our Christmas cards if it turned out.)

Keep in mind, Robert and I are still still coming to grips with both of us on the same machine and the power at Robert's fingertips. For example, previously when we went to Bird Creek, it was a gentle ride, meandering along, slowly going over bumps. Here on the open road, it was no problem for him to gun it and almost send me over the back of the ATV. (Which would have resulted in an entirely different post had that happened.)

This weekend we were on a mission. To the end of the trail - as far as we could go as fast as we could go (which in fact turned out to be where the mud was so deep each of us got stuck at least once - yes, we have a winch and it works very well). I believe we went over 6 miles down one of the trails and the colors were beautiful. We discovered our ATV doesn't turn on a dime and our Mud Lite tires spew mud at an terrific volume right up your back, helmet, pants, shirts, etc. when you are stuck and attempting to get out. Needless to say, we provided entertainment for all and the next ATV accessory will be mud flaps.

At one point, Robert told me to get off so he could get through a particularly rough and muddy section. Ever the one to follow instructions without arguing, I promptly did, then attempted to cross the creek and proceeded to step into water up to my knees. Of course, when I tried to step out, my boot stayed in the mud and to avoid falling, I stepped back in the water. Luckily it wasn't that cold and we were on our way out when this happened. (More entertainment.)

All in all it was a wonderful afternoon. Unfortunately, the only wildlife we saw were other ATV riders, however, we laughed, had fun, saw more incredible country and everyone returned safely. I can't accurately describe the beauty of our state. I only hope you will experience it someday if you haven't already. Special thanks to our friends who invited us and showed us the places they have been. I look forward to the next time we can get together and check out new trails.

The only downside happened Sunday...when I woke up...I felt like I had been run over. Hanging on for dear life over rough and tumble country for 2 hours works muscles I don't normally have to work that hard sitting at my desk. I am beginning to think Alaska is for a younger generation...

1 comment:

Bill said...

You could get building services to install paint shakers on your desk and chair.

You could get in shape right at your desk!

I reckon that within a month you could drink coffee on the shaker and not spill a drop.