Saturday, May 19, 2007

Today is "Garage Sale Day"

As we were unpacking our stuff in October, there were several things I came across where I made at least two executive decisions: 1. I'm not packing this in another move (my stuff); 2. Asking the question, do you really want this and if so, why (his stuff). (Hey - at least he got a say in the matter!!!) If the answer was toss it, the item went into something marked 'garage sale'. I didn't know if we would have a garage sale but at least it wasn't in the house and put away.

It turns out our housing addition has a neighborhood garage sale twice a year and today is the spring garage sale. The day dawned bright and sunny (about 4:30 this morning) and looks like it will be a great day to hike, bike ride, walk and I guess sit outside trying to sell stuff. We have been culling, moving and marking for the last two weeks. Pricing has been tough. This is some priceless crap here....or at least expensive. Do we put 50 cents or a 1.00 on that shirt??? After all, I don't want to haul it back in to the crawl space!

I have participated in one other garage sale since moving out of my parents house. In that neighborhood, it seemed a common occurance to have people show up an hour before you were going to open, wait in the drive and give the appearance of stop, drop and roll as the garage door was going up. Now to find out if that is a Lower 48 habit or it it happens here too.

I am actually looking forward to dumping some invaluable goodies and meeting some more locals. We will be bone tired tonight as we (including Squirt) normally don't have to be captivating for 6-7 hours in one day. :)

Maybe it it will all be sold in an hour and we can go bike, hike and walk...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.