Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Scratch Made Stuffing

In the land of prepared boxed goods, I had not made stuffing from scratch since I left home (a long time ago).  I had watched my mother make it for 18 years or more but never really done it myself.  Since I couldn't find a prepared stuffing mix here, I decided to make it the old fashioned way.

When I moved out of the house, Mom gave me a cookbook with a few of here recipes in it and one of them was her scratch stuffing.  This is the recipe:

Day old bread, broken in pieces
Broth to moisten
Salt & Pepper to taste
Celery chopped
onion chopped
poultry seasoning
chopped gizzard, liver, neck meat.

That's it.  Note all of the precise measurements and baking instructions.  The definition of scratch cooking.  :)

We tore up some bread.  I decided to toss in some bacon, Caesar spiced croutons and jalapenos.  I made my own poultry seasoning from the spices I had in the cupboard.  Interestingly, our turkey only had a neck...no other giblets.

It turned out OK.  I needed to bake it a little longer at a higher temperature than I originally tried but it was still worth eating.

Thanks Mom!

No comments: