Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Kolaches...Attempt #1

After RLT's last trip to Houston and his commenting about getting Kolaches for breakfast, I decided I would make some.  After all...it looks like rolls with meat in them.

I scoured the internet for a recipe and finally found one that seemed reasonable.  The only downside was the vagueness when it came to the filling.  The instructions were along the lines of...if you want to fill them, now is the time to do it...No information on how much meat / eggs / cheese were needed or the best way to prepare a mixture. 

Time to wing it...

Monday, I cooked a pound of ground chorizo (next time I am using ground Texas hot sausage and spicy brats) and tossed in 8 eggs.  The final mixture was heavy on the meat side and probably needed more eggs.  I also mixed up 8 oz of low fat cream cheese, some cooked English style bacon (it's different from American bacon) pieces and jalapenos.

Tuesday, I mixed up the bread recipe and of course the house is too cold for it to rise.  I had to make a "proofer" by turning the light on in the oven and setting the dough in it for a couple hours.  I rolled out individual circles and stuffed them with either meat and cheese or the jalapeno mixture.  The recipe said "makes 24"...I got 26 with some of the meat mixture left over.

And then I managed to get the oven too hot and overcooked the first batch.  They aren't burned but VERY VERY done.

The sausage kolaches would be better if they hadn't cooked so long and I think there was too much bread especially on the bottom of each one.  Next time I will roll them out thinner...and get more servings!

On the other hand, the cream cheese kolaches are addictive.

As a final comment, Robert did notice the dusting of flour on his mouse and mouse pad.  He leaves his laptop on the kitchen counter - perfect for me to pull up recipes on and to use while cooking.  :P

No comments: