Sunday, August 24, 2008

Gardening Dangers

While Alaska has no poisonous snakes, spiders or other bugs, apparently we do have something that is buggish and I am allergic. Thursday night, while picking raspberries (we now have 6 quarts in the freezer for the winter with more to come), I was bitten right in the corner of my eye by something - I have no idea what. By Friday morning, my right eye was almost swollen shut from the swelling underneath it. I looked like I was carrying 1/2 of a baseball under the skin on my face.

Of course I still went to work but when 8:00am arrived, I called my physician to see if I could get in. Hooray - they worked me in at 11:00am. Upon arriving at the Doctor's office, they checked my normal vitals, vision, etc. and proceeded to say "That really looks annoying. Take Benadryl, put ice packs on it and it should go away in 3 - 7 days. And by the way, it will probably be bruised once the swelling is gone." Perfect! Just what I need! At least there won't be any pictures taken if I can help it over the next 2 weeks which was a feat this weekend because we had a birthday party (my brother's) and the fair to attend!

Now, 3 and 1/2 days later, I appears it is going to take more like 7 days before it goes away. Robert assures me it isn't as big as it was Friday but I can't tell when looking in the mirror.

From now on I am wearing bug spray!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be brave -- leave us a picture. Sounds terrible.

Rex