Monday, June 04, 2012

Wildlife

We purchased two books this weekend about Australian wildlife.  One of the books is specifically geared toward wildlife in and around Brisbane. 

Now, while I came fully prepared with the knowledge the world's most deadliest snakes live in Australia, I was not ready for 8 of them calling our city home. 

We are blessed with the Death Adder, Small Eyed Snake, Tiger Snake, Coastal Taipan, Spotted Black Snake, Red-Bellied Snake, Eastern Brown Snake and Rough-scaled Snake all of which can cause death if not quickly and properly treated.  (And no - I can't identify a single one of them.  I am sure the pictures in the book look nothing like a giant, killer snake I might run across in my wanderings.)

We also have 16 other venomous snakes that require medical attention if you are bitten,  but do not have the same intensity as the ones listed above.

Right now, I am glad we live on a small piece of property with no yard and that I was blissfully ignorant when out trimming the bamboo. (BTW - I am NOT sticking my hand in the pool skimmer to clean it out either.)

I spend a lot of time walking in the park under trees and along the river with lots of shrubs nearby.  In the past, I am pretty sure I would not have messed with any snake I came across, and now there is a greater possibility I will turn and go the other way in the future. 

This also explains the signs at the various zoos and wildlife parks explaining what to do in case of a snake bite.  Silly me - I thought they were reminders for the attendants.  I'm not so sure now!!!

No comments: