Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Earth Moved Today

There I was, sitting at my desk, discussing something with a co-worker when I heard a loud pop, like a big wind gust blowing the window, and then my chair started moving. I was feeling an earthquake...my first earthquake. It seemed to last quite a while and ended up being a 5.0 magnitude. It was centered 65 miles NW of Anchorage. More information and the location can be found at the Alaska Earthquake web site.

Of course I had to immediately check Squirtcam to see what he was doing. Nothing different from normal late afternoon woofing and spinning.... Doesn't look like anything fell off of shelves in the house. (whew!)

Since we got home so late on Monday night, I really didn't get the chance to look around outside to see if anything changed while we were gone. From all appearances (several new moose nugget piles) Momma and Calf were busy in our yard this week. My huge, overgrown into the pathway Black Currant bushes have been SEVERELY trimmed. I planned on trimming them this spring...I am just not sure I would have trimmed quite that much. Hope they survive.

Of course, to get to the currants, they had to walk over two of the reindeer and knock them into the third. Robert had to replace about 25 bulbs across the three deer. The moose won that battle...we have moved the reindeer to the raspberry patch. (From all appearances, raspberry stalks aren't that tasty to moose.)

Speaking of moose - here's an article no one should miss out on! Drunken Moose Who would have thought. I'll bet he was pretty funny to watch and pretty cranky as it wore off!

1 comment:

Bill said...

Moose. I know just how he feels.