Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Back Home Again

We have been traveling. This year we went outside (Alaskan for anywhere other than Alaska) to Kansas and Oklahoma for Thanksgiving. We arrived our house in Anchorage at 1:15 this morning. LONG flights but luckily no travel delays. Sadly - almost all of the snow has once again melted - no skiing today!

Egad was it hot down south. Those 70 degree days were tough. I wore shorts more last week than I did last year. There we were dressed in shorts, t-shirts and sandals looking for air conditioning when others had jeans, sweatshirts and coats with household heaters running. It finally cooled down to the 30s and snowed a little. It is nice to be able to share our weather. :) It was fun to people watch in the airports - it was sunny and 50 in Houston yesterday which means winter coats, snow boots and ear muffs. Isn't it interesting how a human body can acclimate itself?

All of our Christmas presents made it to relatives without breaking (we shipped them) and hopefully the packages we shipped back will make it in the same condition. Our families were in good health and it was so wonderful to see them. Plus - we successfully chose for the 3 and 4 year old fabulous, noisy toys for their parents to enjoy!

It had been one year since I last left Alaska and I am pretty sure that is the longest time span I have stayed in one state let alone one country since graduating from college. I discovered I missed the hustle and bustle of the Lower 48 - the 4 lane highways - the option of choosing different roads to get to the same place - the tons of places to stop and get something to eat - not that we ate a lot just the ability to do it. But coming back last night, I so was glad to get home - ironically away from the hustle and bustle. Looking out of the window and flying over the snow covered mountains awash in moonlight, no little communities to interrupt the darkness, the clear, starry skies. We had a six mile cab ride or so from the airport in the city and stopped at two stoplights. Even though most of the snow is gone, the dusting in our drive showed momma moose and calf had recently been through. While many people would never live here because of the weather, extended winter dark and summer sun along with the "isolation", to me this is paradise and I am so thankful I have the opportunity and plan to take advantage of it while we are here.

Now it just needs to get cold enough for me to dig out my fur coat and mukluks!

No comments: