Saturday, August 11, 2007

Another Special Sighting

Yesterday at the office, someone noticed a pod of Beluga Whales in the inlet and called me. I was so excited as I had not seen a Beluga yet. Sure enough, there they were, bright, white whales against the blue water. The moved in very close to Ship Creek where there were several fisherman looking for those salmon. The Cook Inlet Beluga is close to being listed on the Endangered Species List especially since they can't figure out why they are disappearing. I am thankful I got to see them.

On a differen note, the summer harvest continues.Our yard is a plethora of goodies! We have picked and frozen 5 gallons of raspberries with lots more to come.

We had 6 more cherry tomatoes the other night. While the cost is now at about $10/ea, they are very tasty!

We have about ½ gallon of rhubarb in the freezer ready to put in a crisp.

The apples are turning. I would guess there is about a bushel total but they are small. It will take a lot of apples to make a pie but it will be doable.

Of course the chives are used almost daily.

I made pesto out of some cilantro we have growing outside. Fresh parsley went into the fettuccini the other night.

We are going to go look for blueberries this today and I think Robert has visions of 5 gallons of those.

Sadly, winter is coming. We are down to 16 hours and 13 minutes of sun now and loosing over 5 minutes a day. I was up and outside with Squirt before sunrise yesterdayand this morning it was only 47 degrees....a little nip of fall in the air.

All indications are we will be skiing in a few short months!

1 comment:

Bill said...

I always like it when someone who ISN'T blogging informs me that I'm not blogging enough.

Surprisignly that same person never informs me that I'm not drinking enough.