Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sunny Tomorrow!

It’s true! It’s true! We are supposed to have two days in a row with no clouds at all. Bright sunshine. I don’t remember the last cloud free day. I am really looking forward to it.

The down side to this is that in the winter this far north, bright, clear, sunny, cloud free skies can only mean it’s going to get cold. Tonight’s low is expected to be -14 with the high on Monday being -3. Monday night is going to be even colder with -17 and Tuesday’s high is forecast to be -6. Good days for road trips.

We aren’t working the next couple of days because we have company. Our first visitor to share paradise with and of course we haven’t seen a single moose since he arrived. OK – we saw one about 3 am as we were coming home from the airport but who wants to moose watch at that time. (You’re right…I would have but I didn’t think the others were up for it.) In fact, it has been foggy and snowy enough we haven’t been able to really see the mountains.

We went skiing locally today. Once again, I started on the bunny hill but after four runs there, I got tired of walking back to the top and was ready to try the slope. The chair lift here is a little different than the one in Alyeska. I didn’t crash getting off (Hooray!) but it wasn’t easy because each time I got off the chair hit my butt before I could get out of the way. (There is probably a message here but I am ignoring it.) I successfully made it down the slope multiple times without falling. The only negative today was the cold. I could spend about 40 minutes outside before I had to go inside to warm up. I think I will do better as a once or twice a week skier for 2-3 hours at a time instead of the marathon 8 hours for two days back to back.

I believe we are going to day trip tomorrow to Seward. With all of the trips to Alaska and even living here, I have never been to Seward while the sun is shining. I hope to break that record tomorrow. Don’t know what is on the schedule yet for sunny Tuesday. Wednesday is going to be warm (29 degrees) and cloudy. Sounds like a heat wave which means Wednesday’s schedule will include shoveling for some part of it! I keep telling myself I’m getting a lot of good exercise!

1 comment:

Bill said...

You never heard the expression "Don't let the chair hit you on the way out?"