Thursday, January 04, 2007

Oh Look - More Snow!

Yes - hard to believe. In Anchorage, we have recorded 57 inches of snow since Halloween and every one of them is still on the ground. Yesterday I managed to shovel three times and I rose early today to clean off what fell last night. However, the sun is on its way. Tomorrow our forecast is for a low of -1 and a high of 1. (At least low temperatures normally stop the snow!)

While we were gone for the weekend, Squirt had a doggie sitter that took exceptional care of him. He went for rides, met some other playmates, etc. and generally had a good time as far as I can tell. Anyway, upon returning from Alyeska we had snow to shovel. (Anyone surprised?) As normal, Robert headed out the front and I out the back with Squirt. I finish up the deck and Squirt is ready to go inside. Putting down the shovel, I go up the steps to the back porch and find out the door handle has been locked. (Normally we use the deadbolt only to avoid being locked out just like this.) This was a very important lesson to learn and I am thankful it didn't happen in the middle of the night (5:30am).

OK - now I'm in a pickle. The banks of snow around either side of the house to another unlocked door are waist deep (on me anyway). I listen for the snow thrower and go to the side of the house were Robert is headed. Robert can't hear me yell and he absolutely refuses to look up. (You would think someone waiving their arms in an SOS fashion would garner notice - others in the neighborhood did.) I walk around the house to the other side and wave at him down by the front of the driveway. No luck there either. As he moves down the sidewalk I go to the third corner and wait for him to turn around. Surely he will stop, rest for a second and look around at his surroundings.

Nope.

As he walks back toward the drive clearing the sidewalk, I am following him on the second terrace of the yard waving my arms. Finally he looks up and waves and goes back to walking. Then he realizes there must be something wrong as it is too cold just to be waiving to him from the middle of the snow filled yard while it is snowing and blowing.

I tell him I am locked out and bless his heart, he stops everything, rushes inside, takes off his shoes to avoid getting the wood floors wet, rushes upstairs and unlocks the back door. I tell him,"Thank you for coming to my rescue…Squirt's feet are cold and he wants in."

No comments: