Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Ode to the 4-Runner


Two and one-half years ago, we purchased our Toyota 4-runner and have really enjoyed cruising around in it. The gas mileage is OK for an SUV. It is roomy, has get up and go, a towing package good for anything available to tow, a pedestal for Squirt to sit and navigate from along with 4 wheel drive. (The salesman couldn’t understand why we needed 4WD in Houston.) We have taken good care of it by changing the oil and rotating the tires on schedule, following the unwieldy warranty maintenance requirements, washing it regularly with extensive detailing twice a year. (Well - it was clean in Houston - a little harder to do in the tundra with 57 inches of snow, mostly below freezing temperatures and the associated road grime.)

And then the unthinkable happened…

Tuesday, we were rear ended by a child of approx. 17, late to school from lunch and driving too fast in in the snowy conditions. I have no idea how fast he was going on impact. It seemed really fast to me but I am probably a little jaded towards the whole incident. Luckily, I saw it coming and warned Robert by creatively saying "Oh S$#)" just before the collision. I don't remember doing that. All I remember is thinking "we are going to get hit". Everyone walked away with no injuries and while the GPS for some reason flew from the dash to the back seat it survived. However the poor little 4-runner now has a banged up rear end. Visual inspection shows the hatch will have to be replaced (will it ever seal again?), the bumper and the plastic on the tail lights (the bulbs survived and are still working). Both police officers commented on our car and how well it performed. One officer was very surprised it came through without more damage. Thank goodness it is still drivable as the Camaro isn't really a winter weather car. The Ford F-150 that hit us didn't fare as well and isn't drivable.

Part of me felt sorry for the boy. You could see the varying realizations going across his face and through his actions. The initial shock, the "I caused this", concern for others, "oh crap I'm in trouble", "oh crap, I'm really in trouble - I'm not going to get out of this one". It was very tough for me to not comment/lecture, etc. on driving, safety, risk and time to grow up, or not make tacky comments about some of this actions BUT having been a teenager at one time in my life - albeit a very good one (as I try to keep my halo from choking me) - I could ALMOST relate to some of his feelings. Plus, we were right on the road to school so he had the pleasure of getting a honk, wave or carloads of teens stopping to talk as they were headed back to school. It took the police about 20 minutes to arrive (very fast considering the number of wrecks this time of year) so there were lots honks, waves and visiting for him.

I was pleasantly surprised at the concern fellow Anchorage citizens showed. One lady immediately offered up her name and phone number as a witness and several cars made the effort to stop get out and ask if everyone was OK or if anyone needed a cell phone. Coming from Houston with the increased crime rate and the dangers of talking to any strangers, it was a very nice change.

We have filed the insurance claim and are in a holding pattern to hear back from them. As with the granite saga, I am sure this will provide fodder for a few days over the course of the next few weeks…

Starting with our rental car when we get it...

1 comment:

Bret said...

Glad you're ok -- I got rearended in a similar deal about 10 years ago, and was surprised at how sore I was the next morning. Not enough to call 1-800-SUE-THEM, but enough to growl at the perpetrator psychically for a few hours.