Monday, September 10, 2012

Flying Foxes

Robert and I went for a walk the other night at dusk and saw a lot of flying foxes.  Apparently, we live close to a small flying fox colony.

I would call them bats.

I have always liked the little bats, zipping around and catching bugs.  I used to see them on the company campus going to work before dark in the morning.  They would swoop by and say hi.

However, while our colony seems small, these are the largest bats I have ever seen. 

Their wingspan can grow to 1 meter and they can weigh over 2 pounds. 

I haven't been able to get a picture or identify if they are the grey headed bats or the black bats.  I do know they are big and I although am fascinated with them and the calls they make, I'm pretty sure when one of them swoops close to say "hi", I won't be as calm as I have been around other bats.


No comments: