Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Recently on a Sunday night around 10:30pm (animal sightings always happen late on a night I have to get up early the next morning), I heard “thump, thump, thump”. I wonder “what was that?” “Thump, thump, thump.” I think, “good grief, what’s broken now?” “Thump, thump, thump, THUMP!”

I get up and look out the blinds and lo and behold, there is a mother and baby moose working their hardest to split open the leftover, frozen solid, Halloween decorations (a.k.a. pumpkins). They are on the steps of our lower landing.

I go running downstairs into the office where Robert is working, whispering the entire time, “Look out the window! Look out the window!” and these 2 moose were right below us working away.

Mother Moose was showing signs of being nervous. She would spin and look behind her, lay her ears down, take a bite and repeat. Something was not right. It was so not right that they took off before finishing all of the decorations.

We wondered what was going on and about 30 seconds later, a 2-3 year old bull moose came right through the yard. For some reason, he wasn’t interested in the pumpkins. I guess he didn’t realize rutting season was supposed to be over.

By this time, Squirt (he doesn’t have to guard at night, that is Robert’s job), finally realized I wasn’t in bed anymore and it appeared I wasn’t coming back anytime soon. He got up, came downstairs and wanted to know what was going on. By this time, all of the moose were out of sight and Squirt missed them all!.

I headed back to bed and Squirt decided it would be a good time for a bed time snack. Crunch! Crunch! Crunch!

I hope all of all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving…travel safe and eat well!

No comments: