Sunday, October 05, 2008

Signs of Winter

OK - I missed the snow estimate. Weather (up to Friday) was absolutely beautiful...we had 6 (count them SIX) days of sunshine in a row. That was the first time since February. Then Saturday morning, when taking Squirt out, I almost broke something by slipping down the deck stairs. The forecast was for SNOW - not ICE. By Saturday afternoon, it was gone. Good thing we got to 35 degrees!

So what are the 10 "sings of winter" for the Trospers...

10. Studded tires are on the SUV
9. I bought a new fall coat (on sale of course!)
8. The snow thrower has oil and gas - ready to run
7. I was instructed on snow thrower use - again
6. Robert scored a business trip somewhere warm and exotic (relates to #7)
5. Squirt's 2008-2009 dog bootie order came in (they had PURPLE this year!!!)
4. Most of our Christmas shopping is done (just have to wrap and ship!)
3. I bought a new winter coat (on sale of course!)
2. I cut out this year's raspberry canes (oof - that was a chore)

And the #1 sign...

According to the tracks in the frozen grass and nugget piles, we had a mother and baby moose in the yard over night. (Of course I missed them.)

Yes, the moose are coming back down from the hills to the city. I can't wait to see how big the baby is. From the tracks, I couldn't tell if there were 1 or 2 babies. Last spring she had twins. I hope they both made it.

Our apple crop was pathetic this year. We only had about 20 and they were the size of golf balls on steroids. No applesauce over the winter for us! I decided yesterday to toss them back in the yard for compost.

I also made the last trip to the farmer's market Saturday for a little combat vegetable shopping. I splurged and came away with 28 lbs of potatoes (Rose gold, peanut and reds) for a mere $31 and what ended up being a gallon of Brussels sprouts for Robert for $18. (How I miss L48 prices!)

No comments: