Saturday, July 14, 2007

It's July. Where's my long underewear?

As foretold by several "natives", once summer arrives you tend to go - go - go. Get as much done as possible. We have found that to be the case and have been VERY busy from touring, to going to summer parties, remodeling and just working around the house. Daylight (all 20 hours of it) is wasting and we need to do stuff!!!

One thing that continues to amaze me is clothing requirements. It is summer. I used to live in Houston. I have lots of summer clothes. When does it get warm enough to wear them here??? Actually, I am ok with 50-60 degrees for the temperature - we just need some more sun to really get the summer duds out.

Dress in layers is the mantra for dressing in Alaska. On several recent outings (gold panning, fishing, bay cruising) I have worn at minimum, 3 layers. Who knew long underwear would be an integral part of my summer attire. When hiking or biking on cloudy, cool days, I am normally in two layers. I just have to make sure that bottom layer is acceptable for street clothing should I need to shed something.

I remember thinking when purchasing all of my winter clothing that I would only use them half of the year. Boy was I wrong. I am pretty sure the only winter items I purchased that I haven't worn this summer have been my ski bibs and ski gloves (I have been tempted), snow boots and heavy, heavy winter coat. (I still wear my light winter coat daily.)

At least I can look back and say those shopping trips and $$ weren't wasted. :)

No comments: