Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Mid Iditarod and Until Next Year Fur Rondy….

The first of the Iditarod teams is almost to the ½ way point - 533 miles (I think) in only 4 days. There have been 10 mushers scratch out of the 82 that started – one with broken ribs after tipping the sled on ice, one broke a hand (hard to put on dog booties with only one hand), several broken sleds and several due to harsher than expected weather conditions. Pilots do fly the people and dogs back to their homes which if I were in that position, I would be very thankful for. I am pretty sure if I had broken ANYTHING I wouldn’t want to turn around and mush home. I know each of you is just as fascinated as I am and I want to provide some great links for following the race.
Daily Updates – general news blips
Musher Status – the actual race status
Pictures from the Race – some incredible photography of the people, dogs and wilderness.

Fur Rondy has now passed. The final Grand Parade is over (I didn’t go – too cold) and I haven't heard of any ruckus created by animal rights activists. Overall the festival was a success and it should continue once again next year. This festival really drives home how important furs have been in the past to the Alaskan and how many people still wear them for warmth. Plus now that it is over and there isn’t as much media attention regarding furs along with it will be another year before Fur Rondy comes along again, I think it is relatively safe to give you one of the Alaskan definitions of p*e*t*a. There are bumper stickers (more than one) on cars stating: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

I must admit – I chuckled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed catching up on your Blog. What fun to be able to see all the things you are getting to see in Alaska. We are in the 70's today (I know that breaks your heart). I'm so glad you like the snow and cold. Daisy says "woof woof" to Squirt!! Cindy T.