Friday, December 08, 2006

It's Here! It's Here

Ah – what’s that? The overpowering smell of silicon wafting through every room of the house along with the whine of saws running creating a marvelous layer of fine dust both inside and outside. YES – Finally – The granite is here and installation has commenced. Soon we will have space and cabinet usage again! To stay out of the way, Robert, Squirt and I have been cooped up in the office all day long. Squirt and I were glad to see the mailman deliver because then we had an excuse to leave for 10 minutes.

Being in the office has been good though. I have used my time well. I found my missing 3-hole punch, updated my checkbook (only 2 months behind), filed stacks of paper, shredded other stacks of paper and cleaned out several manuals. Bonus – I bugged Robert about things I wasn’t sure if I should keep or toss. That’s always fun as he normally isn’t really into straightening things up. I am fairly sure if I had done this prior to moving here our shipment would have been about 500 lbs lighter. I actually toyed with starting to work on income taxes but decided that was a little too ambitious. I guess I will do that tomorrow while they finish installation.

Tonight is the almost formal, “festive attire” Christmas party and yes, I bought not one but two sparkly tops, velvet pants and a black lace skirt. (No, I am not wearing all of them tonight – I didn’t have time to find shoes to go with the skirt.) Luckily, I am short enough and the skirt long enough, it can almost pass for formal dress. In fact, I am going to call it formal and be good to go just in case another holiday semi-formal festive attire occasion occurs. I can also hear some of you asking why two outfits were necessary – you never know who will be at the parties and I can’t wear the same outfit to two parties in a row!

It was warm (40 degrees) today. The ice and snow is completely cleared off of the wood deck where we shoveled – however not so much on the sidewalks and driveways. The deck will now be much nicer in the mornings – less chance of me falling. I actually worry about that now. I can just see it. I go outside at 5:30am on a workday, slip on the ice, fall on my butt, break something, and have to wait outside 15-30 minutes for Robert to wake up and wonder why we haven’t come back inside. If only Squirt could reach the handle, he could go inside and let Robert know there was a problem. Oh well. I just have to dress in layers!

Oh – by the way – the granite looks GREAT. Will post a picture once everything is back in order, set, dried, etc.

2 comments:

Bill said...

I was getting mightily excited about the smell of silicon in your house thinking that you finally came to your senses and bought a MacBook Pro, now even faster with the new Core 2 Duo processors, but noooooo, you're salivating over rocks!

How. Disappointing. Really.

Former Novice Alaskan said...

A MAC in this house? You've got to be kidding! :)