Thursday, December 28, 2006

And I Only Hit 1 Tree!

Downhill skiing - What a blast!

Yesterday, the Trospers went downhill snow skiing for the first time. Ok, Robert skied before about 30 years ago but it has been long enough that time doesn’t count. It was the first time for me. We had a one-hour private lesson and I am pretty sure we were the oldest ones on the bunny slope. Most everyone else (including the only other person even close to our age) had snowboards. FYI – Snowboarders appear to fall more than newbie skiers. Of course – it is also easier for them to get up as they all looked to be 16 or younger.

It was a good lesson. The kid assigned as our teacher had been skiing since he was four years old and I'm not entirely sure he was out of high school yet but he did a great job. I came really close to a tree on one run as I couldn’t get stopped. The branches provided something to hold on to while getting turned around. Robert was at the bottom of the hill and couldn’t find me for a minute – then he saw the branches moving and figured out what was going on. I did have one other fall – a rather gentle lean over and hit the ground. The problem was I couldn’t get my feet out of my bindings and I was stuck until the instructor came to my rescue. I didn’t feel so bad though as he couldn’t pop them open by hand either.

The bunny slope here by our house is too small to have a towrope. Each time, we had to take off our skis and hike back to the top to go down. (I’m thinkin’ cross country skiing isn’t for me but this is just a guess…I haven’t tried it yet!) I am all for having something tow me up the mountain and gravity pulling me GENTLY back down.

After 90 minutes of this, we were tired puppies and it was time to come home for a bite of lunch and a nap. Then it was off to buy equipment as we are going to Alyeska to ski this weekend. :) I now own skis, boots, socks (yes – there are special ski socks – who knew), poles, bindings and probably some other stuff. If you have never had ski boots on, they are challenging and tight. Really tight. My feet were going to sleep and the person helping us didn't think that was a problem. (I did though and got a bigger size.) You also have to kick your heels back once they are on your feet to make sure they are on correctly. My new boots actually take an allen rench to adjust them. (Wonder if that will be an issue in the long run?) We pick up the equipment up tomorrow just in time for another set of lessons on the Olympic ready mountain Saturday. (I hear those bunny slopes have chairs – perfect!) I really am excited about it.

Gotta get back to the game! Right now it is 3rd quarter in the Texas Bowl and unfortunately, K-State is losing to Rutgers. Come on CATS – time to fight back and win!

No comments: