Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Waxing Poetic and the Reindeer Run

In case you haven’t figured it out OR are new to the blog, I am a dog lover. If the world were made according to my rules, some of them would be, no one is allergic to dogs, dogs don’t get rabies and dogs are allowed to go anywhere humans do. That is why I love this time of year in Alaska. Dogs are center stage for a couple of months between the weight pulls and mushing competitions. Dogs live to do what their humans ask of them and a dog’s unconditional love continually amazes me.

That being said, who doesn’t like a good reindeer run. :)

We were a little too close to the finish line this year and couldn’t see as well…(having been at the start and finish – I know EXACTLY where to be next year) but still the excitement and show was fantastic. People actually started lining the streets over an hour before the start for front row viewing. We had a former astronaut in the mix this year and about 2-3 times the runners. Oh – and they ran 9 reindeer per heat instead of 4-5.

It went smoothly for the most part. One reindeer got confused and went the wrong way. That was exciting trying to get him/her caught and corralled.

A couple of people accidentally ran into the corral instead of beside it.

Two handlers got poked by antlers.

And I think only one person fell during the run (on the icy streets) – but no injuries.

My only criticism of the entire event would be I thought it a little tacky to park the reindeer right next to the reindeer hot dog stand.

Pictures to follow - and maybe movies!

No comments: