Tuesday, February 13, 2007

In Search of Mukluks

I need a pair of Mukluks. (Note: the verb "need" was accurately employed.) I have needed a pair for several years - since our first vacation to Alaska. They are not only gorgeous but functional. I would wear a pair of mukluks to work or on the weekend. I can't justify buying a fur coat as I don't see me donning a sheared beaver garment on a daily basis. Although, sheared beaver is tough to pass up. Some people would argue but I don't think there is a softer fur.

We went downtown this last Sunday to walk around and go to some of the artisan shops specializing in wood and stone carvings and bronzes. (You can never have too many.) It was also a ploy to go look in the fur shops for goodies. Sad to say many of the shops were closed (not yet tourist season) but we still saw some spectacular items. (If only I could win a lottery.) I think we will have to take vacation one of these days to check out the shops when they are open.

I was eyeballing a coat with leather on the outside and fur on the inside. That would be functional. I still want to look around to make sure it is the perfect one before purchasing. There were some rather nice ear muffs and mittens made out of beaver. No luck on the mukluks though. I think I will have them custom made when I finally do get ready to pick them out. That way I have the fur I want and not what is on the shelf.

We also checked out the store with several of the Regat bonzes on display. I love the Regat studio work - especially the Otters, Totems, Seals/Sea Loins and Wales/Dolphins. Some of the fish bonzes are fantastic also. I could decorate an entire house in these art works - the only thing holding me back is that lottery thing…

Fur Rondy will be starting a week from Friday. This festival started back in 1930 or so to celebrate the trappers coming to town to sell their furs. I believe Fur Rondy continues until after the start of the Iditarod Race on March 3rd. I so look forward to experiencing these two events. If you watch on the Iditarod race on TV, I am sure you will see us in the crowds at the starting line because there is no way I am missing it. (Which means there is very little chance Robert will miss it unless he schedules something out of town.) Of course, you won't be able to recognize us as we will be bundled up against the cold weather. I actually tried to volunteer for the race this year but was too late getting an application in. Look out next year! I still have to decide whether to take Squirt downtown with us for the start. It might be good for him to be there and see that some dogs actually have to work and that snow booties are an integral part of their job! However, I wouldn't want him to distract the working dogs there already. :)

Speaking of Squirt, insurance has accepted responsibility and will be covering the restoration of Squirt's limo! Hooray! Now where is that claims adjuster…..Oh well - one step closer!

No comments: