Sunday, November 19, 2006

In search of Almond bark....

As I have described, one can't always find things in a smaller, northern town that would be easy to locate in large southern city. Remember the dish rack and steps. Well, I found something else which falls in the same category.

With Christmas coming on and Thanksgiving here, it is time for pot lucks, Christmas gifts, neighborhood parties, etc. etc. and we never go empty handed. One of my favorite things to make and take to such events is peanut clusters. Sitting here typing this, I can think of only one person I know who doesn't like chocolate covered peanuts. Everyone else always oooh's and aaah's and the clusters generally disappear quickly and from all appearances, are well liked.

One of the best things about the clusters are they are simple to make and from all appearances, I work for hours making them. Buy a typical 2 lb bag of almond bark, 1 - 12 ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and a bottle of roasted peanuts. Melt 8 of the 12 squares of almond bark (SLOWLY), dump in the bag of chocolate chips and when the mixture is smooth, turn off heat and mix in peanuts to taste. Spoon on to wax paper and let them dry. Simple - right?

Following tradition, my floor at work is having a pot luck for Thanksgiving and I sign up for peanut clusters. Lunch is on Tuesday and here it is Saturday (before Tuesday) and I decide to go to the store for the weekly grocery run. Pulling into the first store, I fill my basket with the normal items and am ready to go down baking aisle. (This doesn't happen often because Anchorage doesn't have the biscuit mix we normally use either but they have a really good bakery so who needs biscuit mix?) You know what's coming don't you. I go down bakery aisle and there is no almond bark. I check the end caps. This is a staple - there has to be a big display somewhere. None to be found. I ask one of the clerks. The response was "What?" I said it is just like white chocolate and lost her. She focused on white chocolate and took me there (which is where the almond bark should have been.)

Not to panic. There is another chain that I can check. With a car load of groceries, I head to the next chain store. (No need to worry about anything spoiling - it is 15 degrees out.) This will be a quick trip - grab some bark - check out and back to the house. Walking down the baking aisle again....you guessed it....no almond bark.

OK - start to panic. I might really have to cook something difficult this year instead of taking the easy way out.

One other store to try - the gourmet grocery store. The one grocery store which always has the really odd things or the unusual items you can't find anywhere else. (Which in Alaska translates to really expensive for most items.) I love these types of grocery stores and never walk out of them without something new to try and then go back for at a later day. This wasn't an "in and out" run. This was an "I've never been here and need to go up and down every aisle to see what we need" run. No problem - they should have almond bark here and the groceries already in the car will be fine...no spoiling possible.

And you guessed it again. Alas - no almond bark. I'm really starting to panic now. Only one other place to try and they don't have a large grocery section. Normally only dry goods. Very minimal dairy. It's not like the Superstores here in the lower 48.

I pull in to the big Supercenter, mentally going through my list of desserts that can be easily and quickly made, doesn't have to be warm, etc. etc. wondering what I will do. I walk down the baking row and flower, sugar, spices - all of the regular stuff is there. And then - I notice a rack in the aisle. It has baking items on it. Maybe just maybe....I walk toward it and then around and WHEW! There are 18 packages of vanilla almond bark. I am pretty sure these are the only 18 packages in the city and I snag 6 of them. (I now have enough almond bark for the next year. Shouldn't be a problem.)

Once again, I am able to make peanut clusters in about 20 minutes, start to finish and everyone likes them. All are gone before I leave work on Tuesday afternoon and several people want the recipe. Of course, if they weren't transplants from the south - they have no idea what almond bark is! Don't worry - they will be tired of peanut clusters before the season is over....remember I cornered the market and am going to use all of it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've made my own pistacio bark before by melting chocolate, putting in pistacios and letting it cool on wax paper. yumm!!
have a happy thanksgiving!
Danielle

Bret said...

Hi, J--er, Novice Alaskan! Had lunch with Lee today, and caught up on all the news, including your blog URL.

Had to stop and comment on this post, b/c I really, really missed your peanut clusters this Christmas!

Hope all is well with you and Robert, and I look forward to keeping up with your adventures.